Saturday, January 9, 2021

Twilight to Sunrise and Ode to Sydenham Lake & The Cataraqui Trail

 


I have been working on a series of 3 books of poetry, photography, prose and comics. The first of these is a series of photos I took during one early morning 2-hour walk beside Sydenham Lake upon the Cataraqui Trail. This walk inspired a poem, and while working on that poem and others, I rediscovered and saw with new eyes, the photos I had take that morning so many years ago. 

Below are a few of those unpublished photos plus excerpts from the book and new poem.

An exerpt from my poem, 

"Sunrise Hour"

Oh would you go a-paddle-ing

Beside this trail upon this lake,

To feel the silent stillness break

As stroke of boat cuts rippled wake.


To spy the creatures low and high

Who soar and zip and flipper by,

And hear the stirring sounds reprise

Of croaks and chirps and squawking cries.

 

Oh would you go a-paddle-ing

A-paddle-ing with me?

                                                       by Eliza Murphy


"I headed home on the trail, looking back now and again to snap a photo from the shoreline, is when I became interested in how the trees and homes were also reflecting on the lake. Even then, I still didn't realize what a perfect morning I had stumbled into and just how rare and magical it was."

"Continuing my meander home and rounding the first trail gate I looked back from where my journey had begun just a few hours earlier and took the last photo of the morning. The sun was just above the Cataraqui Trail and creating a halo of sun bubbles bursting in the morning sky, it is a magical photo to end what was a magical morning walk on the magical Cataraqui Trail."



No comments: